This is the first recipe from my previous post The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 package (6 oz.) or 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla with a mixer on medium speed until well blended. Beat in egg, mixing well. Add flour mixture, and beat slowly to incorporate, then beat to blend well. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop batter in 2-tablespoon portions about 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Bake in a 400° oven until edges of cookies are brown but an area about 1 inch wide in the center is still pale, 6 to 7 minutes. If using 2 pans in 1 oven, switch positions at half-time.
- Let cookies cool on pan about 5 minutes, then transfer to racks with a spatula. Serve warm or cool. Store airtight up to 8 hours, or freeze for longer storage.
Cooking time: About 7 minutes per pan
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Makes: About 18 cookies
Recipe taken from Sunset Magazine.