After the Good News

The day I found out I was pregnant, I was estatic... I'll be quitting my job! teehee! This has been my ultimatum when I started working here in Singapore, that once I get pregnant again, I'd immediately quit my job.

The next day, 14th February, I asked my team lead if we can talk in private. He's also Filipino and I'm comfortable talking to him. When we went in the meeting room, he asked "buntis ka 'no?"... I laughed afterwards hahha! So I told him yes I'm pregnant and I'll be resigning in one to two months time. The project's deadline would be on first week of March, so I told him not to worry, I can still finish my tasks.

The day after, after going out for lunch, I went to the toilet. What I saw really scared me... there were some spots of blood... I didn't know what to do. I don't have an OB-Gyn yet, and I haven't been to any hospitals here. Plus in the office, only my team lead knows I'm pregnant. So while waiting for my team lead to return, I was panicking... I can't sit still! I called up all the OB-Gyns recommended to me, but no one answered. So I called up hospitals, asking them if I should go the hospital or what. The first hospital I called was Singapore General Hospital. The hospital staff told me to go to their A&E. As soon as my team lead appeared again in the office, I told him it's an emergency and I need to go to the hospital. So I took a taxi & went to the hospital.

When I got there... the waiting time is 3 hours! Omaygulay! Actually I didn't know SGH is a public hospital... wahahaha! I should have gone to a private hospital instead... I still stayed there, paid the $90 fee and waited. Lloyd arrived in the hospital a few minutes later. Since I really can't sit still anymore, I asked one of the nurses if there is a special case for pregnant women who's spotting. So she told me to go straight to the nurses cheking the BP, temp, etc. So I went there and they wheeled me inside (I don't know what's it called). From there, wait again! I think I was inside that room for an hour or so. This time Lloyd's not with me... he's not allowed inside.

After the long wait, a doctor checked me, asked me questions like how many weeks pregnant, any abdominal pain, etc. Then he asked for a urine sample so he can confirm the pregnancy. A few minutes after I gave the urine sample, it's confirmed, I am pregnant. So the doctor said they'd have me scanned to check if the baby's OK and everything's just fine.

So one of the staff wheeled me to the other side of the hospital, to the labor department. Lloyd's with me then. When we got there, the doctor did an ultrasound, everything's fine. No bleeding inside, so nothing to worry. Whew! He prescribed some medicines, Folic Acid and Duphaston.

After that, we went back to the A&E department, and wait for the papers I need before we can leave the hospital. The doctor gave me a medical certificate to be on leave until Tuesday next week. After getting the medicines, we went home.

The next week, I went back to work. I sent a message to my team lead that I'd be resigning earlier than expected. So we talked, together with our project manager (who is also a Filipino :D). I told them the condition of my pregnancy. They understood my reason. Good thing the one month notice would still coincide with the project's deadline, so I can still finish all my tasks before I leave. The next day, Thursday, I tendered my resignation. And the countdown begins.....


  © Blogger template 'Neuronic' by 2008  © Blog header image 'Kultivating' from Smashing Magazine by João Filipe Cunha

Back to TOP